Monday, September 24, 2012

Savouring the 1996 Chambertin

My son was able to get a hold of 3 great wines from a friend of his. Don't worry it was all legit no gun fire or thievery involved. One of these wine was a 1996 Chambertin.

I tried to find out more information on this wine with a little success. This Chambertin is a full bodied red burgundy wine. It's vintage is well known. The pricing of it on the Internet ranged up to $556.00. I checked at a local BC Liquor store and the closest vintage with a price they carried was $115.00. However this was not the exact same wine as mine.

We (my wife, son and myself) savoured this wine with beef and mushroom sauce. It definitely tasted mature in that it had more tannin than most wine we drink, plus the oak was evident but not overly powerful. It was a dry wine and as it remained open to the air it became more likable.

My son wasn't overly impressed with it, my wife and I enjoyed the fact that it was a nice wine, different from what we usually drank. I liked that fact that it survived so many years and was a pleasing wine to drink.

In my future posts I'll cover the opening of the 2 other wines my son gave me. These are from California and from the mid 1990's.

No comments:

Post a Comment